- Trash/garbage pickup and Recycling Convenience Center schedule changes during holidays: Holiday Schedule.
- Public Works Toter trash carts are to be placed on the back of the curb on the property line by 7:00am on the collection day but not before 4:00pm on the day prior to pick up.
- For the Downtown Central Business District, containers should be placed out for pick up no earlier than 6:00am but prior to 11:00am on the scheduled collection day.
- Businesses and Residents are limited to the collection of trash contained in the Toter trash cart(s) provided by Public Works. Some exceptions may apply, contact Public Works to learn more.
- Bundles: Maximum size = 4 feet long, 2 feet wide, and 2 feet high. Maximum weight = 75 pounds. The maximum limb diameter is 2 inches. Must be bounded or tied with a binder strong enough to permit handling.
- If bags or containers fail during handling the property owner or occupant will assume clean up. If you notice wear on the Toter trash cart that services your address contact Public Works at 540-434-5928 or PublicWorks@HarrisonburgVa.gov to request a repair.
- Composting is a great way to keep organic materials out of refuse, which diverts waste from the landfill and also cuts down on the potential for "refuse juice" to spill on the street and enter the storm sewer system. Although the City does not provide curbside collection of compost, did you know that there is a public compost drop-off location in Harrisonburg? The Climate Action Alliance of the Valley collects compost near City Hall in parking lot at S. Liberty St. and Warren St. More information.
Small businesses, that have city or private refuse collection, are still encouraged to source separate recyclables and bring them to the Recycling Convenience Center or Mobile Recycling Unit.