Last Updated: March 27, 2023
News articles and news releases from the Harrisonburg Fire Department:
- Community Fire Academy: Have you ever wanted to know more about HFD or how to become a firefighter? The Community Fire Academy will educate attendees about how the Harrisonburg Fire Department operates and serves the community. It will be held Wednesday nights starting May 10th. Sign up today!
- Join NFPA® and HFD in celebrating the 100th anniversary of Fire Prevention Week™ (FPW) in October. This year’s FPW campaign, “Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape™”. We invite you to celebrate with us at the following free events:
- Fire Safety Rocks on October 7th from 5:00pm-7:00pm at Dream Come True Playground
- Fire Safety and Treats at El Paisano on October 9th from 11:00am-2:00pm
- Coffee with the Chief at Coffee Hound on October 26th from 7:00am-9:00am
- The Sweet Sounds of Fire Safety at Klines (Downtown Harrisonburg) October 26th from 4:00pm-6:00pm
- Sensory Friendly Trunk or Treat on October 29th from 1:00pm-3:00pm at Fire Station 1
- Save the Date for the month of October for our Second Annual Winter Coat Drive! The coats are donated to Harrisonburg city children. For more information, contact Kim Smith at Kim.Smith@harrisonburgva.gov
- July 13 - Free Pizza/Free Smoke Alarm Event - Wednesday, July 13, 2022! 4:00pm until 8:00pm.
- HFD announces their fourth annual Camp L.I.T. (L E A D E R S H I P | I N T E G R I T Y | T R A I L B L A Z E R)
Camp L.I.T. is a day camp hosted from Monday, July 18th through Friday, July 22nd, 2022 and is open to girls ages 14-16, and is completely free of charge to participants. Apply today at Camp L.I.T. 2022! Questions? Contact Erin Stehle at 540-432-7703 or Erin.Stehle@harrisonburgva.gov.
- HFD announces their second annual Community Fire Academy! This six week academy will provide particpants with an exclusive look at how HFD operates and serves the community. Apply today at Community Fire Academy 2022. (Applications due April 18)
- December 14, 2021 - City Council approves HFD Station 5! View the HFD Fire Station 5 Presentation at the City Council Meeting - Harrisonburg Fire Department Chief Matthew Tobia discusses the need for a fifth Fire Station to serve the Park View area of Harrisonburg. This station will help improve response times across the city and lower property insurance rates, along with many other important benefits.
- July 14 - Free Pizza/Free Smoke Alarm Event - Wednesday, July 14, 2021! 4:00pm until 8:00pm.
- Read the latest Joyful Dispatch Newsletter!
- L E A D E R S H I P | I N T E G R I T Y | T R A I L B L A Z E R
- The Harrisonburg Fire Department and Rockingham County Fire Rescue are excited to announce our third annual girl’s summer camp, “Camp L.I.T.,” taking place July 26th through July 29th, 2021. Camp L.I.T. is open to girls (ages 13-16) and is completely free of charge to participants. The camp will provide a unique insight into life as a first responder in hopes of encouraging young females to consider the fire service as a career.