Frequently Asked Questions - Real Estate

  • Increase
  • Normal
  • Decrease

Current Size: 80%

Select a question link to open the answer.

The real estate tax rate is subject to change annually. To find the current rate, visit the Real Estate Tax page.



Real Estate taxes are calculated on a fiscal year basis and are billed twice a year. The first half is due December 5th and the second half is due June 5th.

City Hall is located at 409 South Main Street, Harrisonburg, VA 22801.

The City Manager's Office, Finance Department, Human Resources Department, Real Estate Office, Commissioner of Revenue, Voter Registrar, Treasurer, Community Development, and Information Technology Department are all located in City Hall.

Please use the city departments contact information directory to call the city office for directions, or use the interactive map on the Places page to get directions to City Hall or another city office.

There is a tax break for anybody over the age of 65 or permanently disabled with a gross income not to exceed $30,000 and a net worth not to exceed $75,000. Applications must be filed by May 1 prior to the fiscal year for which the exemption is requested. The title to the property for which exemption is claimed by the person must be held on July 1 of the taxable year by the person or persons claiming exemption.  More information.


The City is on a fiscal year. Whoever owns the property as of July 1 of that fiscal year will stay in that name until the next July. The new owner is responsible for the tax bills so the Real Estate Office tries to send the tax bills in c/o the new owner.

The City has partial exemption from taxation for rehabilitated, renovated or replaced real estate. The property has to be located within the B-1 Central Business District. The partial exemption from taxation shall commence on July 1 of the year following the final inspection and shall run with the real estate for a period of no longer than five years. The exemption is equal to the difference between the assessed base value established at the initial inspection before the rehabilitation, renovation or replacement and the final assessed value.

Land may be eligible for special valuation and assessment when it is used for agricultural, horticultural, forest or open space. You need to have at least five acres or more. Forest needs at least 20 acres. The applicant must furnish, upon request of the local assessing officer, proof of all prerequisites to use valuation and assessment, such as proof of ownership, description, areas, uses, and production. Any change in acres, zoning or change in use will be subject to a five year roll back tax.


The Real Estate Office can run sales by zoning, neighborhood, and use code. Real Estate also has a map that they put the sales on. All sales are public information. Real Estate can also fax or email the information.

You can either call the Real Estate Office and they will send a new bill to the owner, or you can mail it back or give it to the new owner.