Frequently Asked Questions - City Manager

  • Increase
  • Normal
  • Decrease

Current Size: 80%

Select a question link to open the answer.

No. The City Attorney represents the City of Harrisonburg and is unable to provide legal aid to the population-at-large.  If you are in need of low cost legal assistance for a civil matter, please contact Blue Ridge Legal Services.  If you are in need of low cost legal assistance in a legal matter, the courts will appoint you an attorney.

No, the City Clerk does not have access to this information.  You can contact the Rockingham County Court House to obtain a marriage license, name change, passport, and deed information. The Clerk of Circuit Court for both Harrisonburg City and Rockingham County can be reached at 540-564-3111. More information about the Rockingham County Clerk of Court.

The City Clerk also cannot provide real estate information for the City.  Contact the Real Estate office at 540-432-7795.  The City Clerk cannot provide personal property (vehicle) tax information for the City.  Contact the Commissioner of Revenue office at 540-432-7704.

Applications are available in any city office or online. Simply fill out an application and submit it. Online applications may be submitted electronically. Applicants may also print out an application or pick one up at any city office and submit it by US Mail, fax or in person to the City Manager's Office at:

409 South Main Street
Harrisonburg, VA 22801  


Fax: 540-432-7778 


Information on the Citizen Academy

More Citizen Academy FAQ

Please contact the City Manager’s Office at 540-432-7701.  The office secretary will direct you to whomever is available at the time you call.  If there is nobody available, you will be asked to leave a message. 

You can contact the City Clerk or City Council members to request to be placed on the agenda.

City Hall is located at 409 South Main Street, Harrisonburg, VA 22801.

The City Manager's Office, Finance Department, Human Resources Department, Real Estate Office, Commissioner of Revenue, Voter Registrar, Treasurer, Community Development, and Information Technology Department are all located in City Hall.

Please use the city departments contact information directory to call the city office for directions, or use the interactive map on the Places page to get directions to City Hall or another city office.

The Director of Communications is responsible for media and community relations for the City of Harrisonburg.  The Director of Communications is available to all citizens who may have questions or concerns about a situation in the City. 

The City of Harrisonburg operates under a council/manager form of government.  In this form of government, the elected council hires a full-time city manager to run the day-to-day operations of the City.  The elected council members, including the mayor, do not work in city offices, but can be reached by contacting the City Manager’s Office.

The CDBG program is a block grant given by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The program is authorized by the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974 in place of several community development categorical grant programs. CDBG provides eligible metropolitan cities and urban counties (called "entitlement communities") with annual direct grants that they can use to revitalize neighborhoods, expand affordable housing and economic opportunities, and/or improve community facilities and services, principally to benefit low- and moderate-income persons.

The grants are available, by application, to programs that directly benefit low to moderate income populations.  For more information about CDBG, please visit CDBG page.

Council members do not work full time out of city offices, however there are multiple ways to get in touch with a council members. 

If you would like to send correspondence by mail, please send it to any council member c/o City Manager’s Office, 409 South Main Street, Harrisonburg, VA 22801. 

City Council members can also be contacted directly through email.  You may contact an individual council member using the links below.  Select the name of the council member you are interested in contacting to find their email address and/or an online form to email them through the website.

Council Members



Not sure which council member you should contact?  Call the City Manager's Office (540-432-7701) and the staff will be happy to assist you.


The City Manager’s Office is on the third floor of City Hall at 409 South Main Street, Harrisonburg, VA 22801.  

In addition to the City Manager and Deputy City Manager, the office houses the Department of Economic Development, the Community Development Block Grant Administrator, the City Attorney, the City Clerk, and the Public Information Officer.