An electrical permit is required for any new construction, alterations, additions, swimming pools, and/or other types of electrical work performed in the City of Harrisonburg.
How to Apply for a Permit
Online: Submit applications, track and pay for permits online via the LAMA Permit Portal. If you are a contractor and need a registration code, call the Department of Community Development at 540-432-7700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Via email: Permit applications may be emailed to email@example.com.
In person: Visit us at Community Development, 409 S Main St, 2 Floor, Harrisonburg, VA 22801.
[526KB] Electrical Permit Application
[197KB] Panel Torque Settings
Questions regarding electrical permits can be answered by the Community Development Building Inspections Division at 540-432-7700.
In order to obtain an electrical permit, the following information is required at the time of application:
- Depending on the complexity of the project, drawings, and specifications may be required. These drawings and/or specifications would include, but not be limited to, floor plans showing the location of all receptacles, switches, light fixtures, and appliances. Service and feeder riser diagrams, load calculations for service and other panel boards, fault current information, ground fault protection information, and other plans, calculations, or specifications as may be deemed necessary by the Building Inspection Office.
- The owner's complete name, present mailing address, and telephone number.
- The electrician's or electrical contractor's complete name or business name, present mailing address, telephone number, certification number, copy of state class "A", "B" or "C" contractor's registration number, and city business license number.
- The appropriate fee, based on the total value of electrical work being done, made payable to City of Harrisonburg.
In most cases, permit requests submitted before 3:00pm will be issued the same day. The permit is not valid until the permit fee has been paid and the permit placard is posted on the job site.
Posting of Permit
The electrical permit shall be displayed on the outside of building or premises where it is plainly visible from the street, and shall not be removed until building or renovation is complete and ready for occupancy.
Required Inspection Information
The following is a list of required inspections to be scheduled by the electrical contractor, owner or owner's authorized agent:
- Temporary service.
- Under slab-entrance conduits, etc.
- Trench-service entrance.
- Trench-including site lighting, etc.
- Rough-in-boxes set, wires pulled, proper connections, etc.
- Permanent service.
- Final-all fixtures, hard wired appliances, heating and air conditioning equipment, receptacles, and switches installed and operational.
- Other inspections as may be deemed necessary.
NOTE: If the permit is for new electrical service or a service change, a Panel Torque Settings [197KB] form is required at the time of inspection.
- A final electrical inspection is required prior to a final building inspection being scheduled.
- A permit becomes void if work has not commenced within, or is suspended for, a period of six (6) months from the date of issuance.
- If desiring to do so, the owner may do the work as long as the proper permit has been obtained, all required inspections are called for, and an affidavit is signed by the owner.