Toter trash carts are coming to Harrisonburg in Spring 2021! Your selection of either a 48- or 96-gallon trash cart will be delivered to residents' homes prior to the program's launch in Spring 2021.
Learn more about the Toter trash cart program by visiting the Mobile Recycling Unit or the Recycling Convenience Center locations. Toter trash carts will be on-site for residents to check out and staff will be available to field questions. Come out and give a Toter trash cart a test pull.
The new Toter trash cart program will offer a wide range of benefits, including:
- Improved curb appeal on "trash day" by making sure everyone has a large, uniform trash cart instead of placing bags on the ground
- Creating progress toward the City's Environmental Action Plan goals
- Increased employee safety by reducing the amount of lifting staff has to endure
- Cleaner streets and stormwater systems (thanks to enclosed, lidded trash carts keeping debris out of the City road and stormwater ways)
- Improved collection operations and efficiency
- Enhanced COVID-19 safety
- Ease of use for citizens
Stay tuned for more information about the Toter trash cart program, coming Spring 2021!
Did you know?
Each Public Works Sanitation crew member physically handed more than 1 million pounds of refuse in 2019.