- Twenty-one years old by completion of academy
- Education, you must have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Pass the HPD written test
- Pass the HPD physical test
- Must have a valid Virginia Driver's License and a credible driving record.
- United States Citizen or have a pending application
- Live within 1 hour of Harrisonburg
- Must be of good moral character with no felony convictions or convictions of moral turpitude.
On page 9, 10 and 11 of the Harrisonburg Police Officer Candidate Information Packet [400KB] there is information on disqualifiers for the job.
Please review them carefully and contact us if you have any specific questions.
|Apply Online||Start Your Career Here||Earnings and Benefits||Essential Skills and Qualifications||Hiring Stages|
Sergeant Chris Watson
The City of Harrisonburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The City does not discriminate or permit discrimination against any applicant or employee because of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, veteran/military status, political affiliation, disability, or any other status or condition protected by applicable state, federal or local laws, except where a bona fide occupational qualification (BFOQ) applies. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits employment decisions based on stereotypes and assumptions about abilities, traits or the performance of individuals of certain racial groups.
The City selects employees on the basis of individual ability and qualifications for a given position and treats everyone with dignity, empathy and respect.